Saturday, November 7, 2009

i love musical theatre!

I don't know why it takes me at least a week to finally blog about something!

So....
A week and a half ago, October 27th, to be precise,
I went to go see American Idiot again.

I think I enjoyed it more the second time around!
Plus, last time I was on the right side of the theatre
and this time I was on the left side which I think offers
a better view of the stage and all the scenes.
I noticed several new things the second time around, too.
I think when you have an idea of what's going on and
what to expect, you're able to focus on other things,
instead of being so focused on trying to soak everything in...
which in a show like this one, is virtually impossible!

There was something else cool about this night...
the entire touring cast and band from Spring Awakening
were in attendance! [Also in attendance was SA alum, Skylar Astin.]

I only spoke with one of the SA cast though....
and that's because I almost bumped right into him!
I was walking towards the ladies room and looked up
because I saw someone approaching from the other direction.
"Matt!" I said. "Oh, hi!" he responded back.
We chatted for a couple minutes, which is how I found out that the cast
and band were bussed up from San Jose so they could see the show,
courtesy of the show's producers!
[And the AI cast went to San Jose to see SA on Thursday!]

I was just surprised that there were enough tickets available
for all of them and joked that whoever ended up with the best seats,
he would know that they must be the producers' favorites! ;)
[My seat was closer than any of theirs! I was just 3 rows from the stage!]

I didn't want to intrude on their night out,
so I didn't approach anyone else.
[Although now, I kinda wish I had....curse my politeness!]

I didn't have any problems however with approaching
the cast from American Idiot.
Although I felt a bit like a peeping tom,
watching the heartfelt reunion
of Skylar with his friends/former castmates.

So, I waited until I wasn't interrupting anything to approach
Brian Charles Johnson.
[Who was also in Spring Awakening as Otto.]
He had left early the first time I saw the show,
so I wanted to make sure I got to see him this time around!

I asked if he could sign a couple things for me and pulled out my books.
As he looked through my SA yearbook, he said, "I remember this!"
He commented that it's too bad that there wasn't a sign or marquee
for American Idiot, so we could do it again.
I told him that I thought the same thing and was bummed that
there was nothing we could point at.
Our visit was short because he didn't want to miss the next BART train.
[So, I didn't get a picture with him.] : (



I did however get a couple photos that night.....

After quite a long wait, I finally got an opportunity
to chat with John Gallagher Jr.
I mentioned that I was so glad to be able to see
the show again and how much more
I enjoyed it the second time around and catching things
you didn't the first time around.
He was glad that I was able to come see
the show again and agreed with what I said.

I told him that it was cool that there's been a bit
of a Spring Awakening reunion!
[A few days earlier, a couple other SA alums saw the show...
would've loved to be there!]

Then I asked if I could get a picture with him,
since I didn't get one last time.
He said of course, so then all we had to do is have someone take it!
Gerard was chatting nearby, so John called him over,
"Gee-rarrd...Can you take our picture?"



And then after Gerard took the picture of me with John....



John took one of me with Gerard!

I guess a bunch of the cast, including John,
must have left shortly after I did,
because I saw them at the BART station.

I thought I might be able to tell him something I forgot to mention,
but didn't get the chance after all. Oh well!


I spent Halloween here -



At the San Jose Center For Performing Arts to see...
Spring Awakening!!!

I actually went to both the matinee and evening performances of the show.
For the matinee show I was sitting smack dab in the middle of the 2nd row.
[Which was absolutely AMAZING!!!]
I was so close, that during Left Behind, I could see Andy really getting into
the moment, with tears streaming down his face. [Aww!]

For the evening show, I had a stage seat...but not just any stage seat...
I had lucky 13!
It was a pretty good seat...although I felt a bit like a peeping tom
during a certain part from My Junk, I saw WAY MORE
than I needed to when Georg gets it on with his piano teacher! ;)

Also from the stage I noticed just how big
Jake Epstein, who portrays Melchior,
is in comparison to Christy Altomare who plays Wendla.
When he had his arms around her, it looked like he could just break her in two!

I usually try to heed the advice that Thumper learned,
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."
However...
I have to say that I really, really missed Henry Stram!
I did not care for the new adult male actor at all.
I just really disliked his interpretation of the roles,
so much so, that it was distracting.
[I was also disappointed that the slap scene was back.]

There were a few other changes in the show,
which was a nice surprise,.
The most major change was adding lyrics to the song
Whispering, for Melchior to sing.
[That way he's not just sitting up in that chair
doing nothing all that time!]
I loved the song the way it was before,
like the saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
But this was one of those rare times,
when they were able to improve upon near perfection.

The players...



Almost a year later, I finally got the last autograph
I needed for my Spring Awakening scrapbook.



Andy Mientus, who plays Hanschen, was the last one I needed.
[He ducked out early the last time I saw the show.]

Then I got this cool photo taken with him....



Andy as Max from Where the Wild Things Are


I didn't get as many photos with the cast as I had hoped,
[I think some ducked out quickly for some Halloween fun!]
But, I'm glad I at least got some!



with the amazing Steffi D





Christy Altomare...who rushed over to me when she saw me!
A year later and she remembered me!
[And I can't believe I almost forgot to get a picture with her!]





Taylor Trensch....the latest Moritz
He did better than I expected,
because he has some BIG shoes to fill...
I think he'll get even better as time goes on.





Chase Davidson...who was filling in as Otto
for the performances I went to. He did a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment