I was inspired by a pin on a friend's Pinterest board
of a wreath tied up with tulle.
I was feeling crafty and in need of some new Halloween decor,
so I figured I'd try my hand at wreath making.
Here's what I used:
A 12 inch round styrofoam wreath.
[I wanted to use an 8 inch wreath, but Michaels didn't carry that size.]
6 inch spools of black tulle.
Michaels was out of black tulle, so I checked out JoAnn's for tulle.
They had 25 foot spools for $2.99.
I ended up using 3 spools for this wreath.
I also discovered that JoAnn's carries 8 inch wreaths,
so now I know where to go next time I make a wreath!
I cut the tulle into 12-15 inch strips.
[Sorry I didn't measure the strips for an exact length,
but the length can vary depending on the look you want.]
I wrapped a strip around the wreath form and tied it in a double knot.
I cut about 15-20 strips at a time and tied them on the wreath,
pushing the strips close together to create a tight fit.
Once I got the tulle all around the wreath, it was time to decorate.
I didn't realize how difficult that part was going to be!
A lot of stores seem to have a really skimpy Halloween selection this year.
It was difficult finding items that were the right size, not too cheap or
cheesy looking, or not too expensive.
In the end, all it took was a trip to the 99 Cents Only store!
They had these large glittery purple picks that looked like creepy tree branches
and each one came with either a bat or spider on them, so I bought one of each!
Then I spotted a set of 2 glittery purple roses that matched with the picks,
so I grabbed those to use.
[My camera didn't pick up the true color of the flowers and picks.
They're more of a magenta purple.]
Since I ended up finding purple items, the coppery orange bow
I had planned on using, didn't look right with everything else.
So I went back to Michaels, [because I had a 40% off coupon]
hoping to find the perfect ribbon to compliment my wreath!
I found an all glittery purple ribbon that I thought would be perfect,
until I realized it wasn't a wired ribbon, which I thought would make
the bow look limp and flat.
I was about to give up, when I stumbled upon this ribbon.
The glittery polka dots matched perfectly with everything
and I thought it made the wreath a bit more fun and whimsical.
The ribbon was $4.99 for 3 yards, so I was glad I had a coupon!
In the end, it ended up costing a bit more and took longer from start to finish
than expected, but I'm happy with the end result and plan on hanging it up
to enjoy for many Halloweens to come.

Super cute!
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure! This is what makes homemade decorations so much better; the story behind them :D
ReplyDelete