Saturday, December 4, 2010

Ghost of Christmas Past

I've been thinking a lot about Christmas traditions this past week.

Sadly, for one reason or another, the majority of the Christmas traditions
that I grew up with, have fallen by the wayside.

[Hopefully, one day I'll be able to revive at least one of these traditions again.]

Here's a look back at a few of my favorite traditions and Christmas memories....

I lived in Sunnyvale and San Jose for the first 8 years of my life.
During that time, we would take a trip to the Santa Cruz mountains
and chop down our Christmas tree.
On our way home, we would stop at Dunkin' Donuts for some munchkins...YUM!




I also remember that we would each get an advent calendar on December 1st.



The kind where you open a flap each day [up until Christmas Eve] for a special surprise...



I remember at least once, sneaking some extra chocolates,
because I didn't want to wait until the next day for one!




I think this is a pretty standard tradition...
I've heard several people say that they've done the same thing in their families.
On Christmas Eve, we would each get to open one present.
Even though it was always pajamas or a pair of slippers, instead of a toy,
it was a thrill to get to tear open a present a day early!


[Me at 9 years old on Christmas with all my presents,
wearing my Christmas Eve pajamas.]


In either 1996 or 1997, I started a sisters Christmas tradition.
On Christmas Eve, we would take BART to San Francisco.

We would look at the decorated windows at stores like Macy's and Nordstrom.





We would look around and do a little shopping at a few stores,
including the now departed Disney Store and FAO Schwarz.



And we always stopped at Union Square to take pictures
in front of the Christmas tree there.



After my sister Katrina moved out of state, Trisha and I kept the tradition alive
for a couple more years, but eventually, this tradition came to an end


And of course, what's Christmas without a visit to see Santa Claus?


Sitting on Santa's lap at my Grandma and Grandpa's house
[Hmmm...Santa sure reminded me of my Grandpa Gerlach!]


Visiting Santa at a Church Christmas party


Visiting Santa along with my brother


Santa came to visit again at another church party!


Telling Santa that I've been a very good girl.

Speaking of Santa...



We have had this light up Santa, for as long as I can remember!
Apart from some ornaments, it's the only Christmas decoration
we have left from my childhood days.
It has a few holes and chips, but he's still holding up!




It seems like I got at least one doll for Christmas for as long as I can remember!


Giving my Drowsy doll a bottle


Holding my new Sweet Dreams Baby Doll


Posing with my first Cabbage Patch Kid

I'm sure there were a couple of Christmases during my teenage years,
where I didn't get a doll. But as you can see, even as I got older,
I'd still get a doll or two every now and then for Christmas!


My sister Katrina and I holding up our new dolls


A gift from my Secret Santa




My Grandma and Grandpa Gerlach took trips to Hawaii every year.
Each Christmas, we would get a gift from them that they got in Hawaii.
Usually it was a shirt, but one year I got a game instead!




More Christmas memories....


My first Christmas



Oh yeah, I'm cool like that!
Rocking the Marie Osmond styling head!



Singing Christmas songs for a church activity



Holding an early Christmas present...my 3 month old sister!



Family Christmas get together at my Grandma and Grandpa's house.
That's me in the Fonz shirt, sitting with my cousins and brothers
watching my aunt do the hula.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun post. I love looking back at your old photos. I wish I had some of mine...

    ReplyDelete