Sunday, September 4, 2011

An Answer

So I always hear people say how they get answers
to their prayers while reading the scriptures.

For me, I tend to get my answers through song.

I've been really struggling and having a difficult time
adjusting to this "new life."
Wondering why exactly I am here, if I feel so miserable and alone.

You remember that TV Show 'Quantum Leap'?
[It was one of my favorites.]
I kinda feel like Sam Beckett, trying to figure out
why he's is when and where he is and what he can do
to be on the right path, so he can finally 'leap home.'

I've thought, "OK, have I done what I needed to do here yet?
Can I go 'home' now?"
But, I'm still here...so I guess not.

I attended a different ward today.
I have been wanting to see what the other wards
in the area were like for quite some time now.

I've just been wanting to feel like I "belong",
which I haven't felt in the ward I've been attending
since I've moved here.

At first, I thought it was just because I really, REALLY missed
the FABULOUS ward that I sadly had to leave behind in California,
but I knew it was more than that.

Yes, I had felt the spirit there and had heard things that I needed to hear,
and yet, it just really felt like something was missing.

When I entered the chapel today,
in this new building and new ward,
I immediately felt a difference.
Just a feeling of peace.

The closing hymn was a song I wasn't familiar with.

The Time Is Far Spent by Eliza R. Snow

1.
The time is far spent, there is little remaining
To publish glad tidings by sea and by land,
Then hasten, ye heralds! go forward proclaiming;
Repent, for the kingdom of heaven’s at hand.
Repent, for the kingdom of heaven’s at hand.

2.
Shrink not from your duty, however unpleasant,
But follow the Savior, your pattern and friend;
Our little afflictions, though painful at present,
Ere long, with the righteous, in glory will end.
Ere long, with the righteous, in glory will end.

3.
What though, if the favor of Ahman possessing,
This world’s bitter hate you are called to endure,
The angels are waiting to crown you with blessings;
Go, brethren! be faithful, the promise is sure.
Go, brethren! be faithful, the promise is sure.

4.
Be fixed in your purpose, for Satan will try you,
The weight of your calling he perfectly knows;
Your path may be thorny, but Jesus is nigh you,
His arm is sufficient, though demons oppose.
His arm is sufficient, though demons oppose.

Oh my heavens!
When I got to the second verse...well, that was the end of me singing.
It's a good thing I keep tissues in my purse, because I just lost it.
It was exactly what I needed to hear...an answer to my prayers.
I felt like the lyrics of this song were written expressly for me
to help me with the trials and tribulations I'm facing right now.
Which just made me cry all the more, because of the love I felt
from my Heavenly Father, that He really is aware of me and my needs.

My heart is full of love and gratitude for this tender mercy.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful. I'm so glad you've written it down, so you can go back to it over and over, when you need to.

    ReplyDelete