Monday, November 24, 2014

ThankFully - Day 2

OK, today's "ThankFully" may seem a bit silly at first,
not to mention that I'm pretty sure I chose this once before
in a previous year's gratitude post,
but it just fit in so perfectly with events from today, so here goes....

I am thankful for....
ICE CREAM!!!

And I'm not just thankful for ice cream because there are so many absolutely
delectable flavors to choose from, or because it's one of my most favorite foods.
No, the reason I'm thankful for ice cream is due to the wonderful memories
that ice cream has played a part in throughout my life.

I have fond memories of going to my Grandma and Grandpa Gerlach's house.
[Which was quite often, during the first 8 years of my life,
since we lived in the same city,]

One of the fond memories of my Grandma and Grandpa's house
was that their freezer was like this....














Now, it didn't look exactly like this.
For one thing, ice cream didn't come in round containers back then
and their freezer was better organized, but you get the idea.
There was never less than 2 or 3 containers of ice cream in the freezer!

I knew that after all the teasing I endured throughout dinner,
for not liking gravy on the mashed potatoes I loved so much,
that there was a delicious dessert waiting for me in the freezer! YUM!


For a while during my childhood, we had a chore chart.
For each chore you did, you got a sticker and at the end of the month,
depending on how many stickers you collected, your reward was
either a single, double or triple scoop ice cream cone from Thrifty's.

Of course, I always made sure I had enough stickers for a triple scoop.
[And made sure to rub that in any of my brothers' faces who only earned
enough for a single or double scoop, because hey, that's what older sisters are for!]
Sometimes I had enough stickers to earn two or more triple scoops...
but sadly, the rules didn't work like that. [Limit 1 cone, only.]
















Ahhhh...yummy memories......















However, if I knew then what I know now, I would've demanded
to get my own half gallon of Chocolate Malted Krunch [my favorite]
for all that work, because a triple scoop cone only cost 45 cents!
[Talk about cheap labor!]


When we moved to Utah when I was 12, I was introduced to
this place and their larger-than-life ice cream sundaes.

















I remember going there with my cousins and trying our best to
keep our clothes clean, but ultimately failing....
usually from the last few spoonfuls of delicious hot fudge!

When we moved back to the Bay Area less than 2 years later,
I discovered that there was a Leatherby's nearby!

I remember taking my sisters there, usually after watching a movie
at the dome theater. Sometimes we splurged and got sundaes
and other times we just got an ice cream cone.
[Which sadly, cost quite a bit more than 45 cents!]

It was pretty depressing when that location closed
and an appliance store took it's place.

Trips to Utah were few and far between and as much as I wanted to go
to Leatherby's each time I went to Utah, that wasn't always the case.

When I moved to Utah this summer, a trip to Leatherby's was definitely
on my top 10 list of things to do.

I recently saw on Facebook that they would be celebrating their 30th Anniversary
and having an [almost] week long celebration with daily deals.
First: Gee, thanks for making me feel old! Second: Count me in!

Today's deal was Traci's Peanut Butter Cup Sundae for only $2.99!
How can you say no to that? There was no way I could!

I was planning on going there straight from work, but instead I waited
and brought my sister, Trisha and nephew, Benjamin with me.

I couldn't recall if they had any non-dairy alternatives,
[Since my nephew Benjamin is being raised vegan.]
so I was glad to see that they had raspberry sorbet on the menu.
I would've felt bad eating ice cream in front of him,
because he LOVES his soy and almond milk ice cream!





This was the smallest ice cream dish they had.
It also cost more than our sundaes...by 10 cents!





















Needless to say, Benjamin was in HEAVEN!





















He couldn't believe it was all for him!!!





















Of course, it wasn't all for him. We put most of it in a to-go cup.










































I just had to get a picture of him licking his plate clean!










































To this day, I still get Swiss Milk Chocolate and Dutch Chocolate Chip mixed up!
I ordered my sundae with Swiss and when it arrived, I realized I meant Dutch!





















Trisha got her sundae with her favorite flavor, Pistachio!

Looking forward to keeping this sweet treat tradition alive with the new generation of the family!



No comments:

Post a Comment