Sunday, November 23, 2014

ThankFully - Day 1

I have wanted to update my blog for months and months now,
but so many of the stories I wanted to share were either too negative,
or too emotional....or even a little of both,
which made wanting to blog, less than appealing.

For a while now, I have been struggling with gratitude and thankfulness.
Deep down, I know, I really know that I have much to be grateful and thankful for,
but all the negatives in my life have really been getting me down these days.

I've had to deal with many tough challenges for most of my life.
[Some I've dealt with better than others.]
This year has had more than it's fair share of challenges, that's for sure!

I'm experiencing deja vu with a few of the challenges I'm struggling with this year,
having gone through similar trials just in the past few years.
You would think that would make them easier to get through, right?
No such luck!

Anyway, with Thanksgiving being this week, I felt that this was really
the perfect time to focus on the positives in my life right now
and leave all that negativity out in the cold!

In the past I have dedicated blog posts about the blessings in my life,
A Grateful Heart - Count Your Blessings - Attitude of Gratitude
and knew that I definitely needed to keep that tradition alive this year!

I don't have much quiet time to myself these days and today I just felt like
I desperately needed some me time. But where could I go?

I am thankful that I can hop on TRAX and less than a half an hour later,
find myself here....

Temple Square!


I almost didn't go. I was feeling tired and hungry, but I knew I had to be there.
My spiritual hunger was more powerful than my earthly hunger.













It had snowed just a little during the night, but by this time of day
it had melted everywhere....except for the mountains.
It was still a cold, brisk day, but my winter coat kept me nice and warm.


















The last time I was at Temple Square was during the Priesthood Session
of General Conference, so of course, it was crazy crowded there!
(My sisters' friend was in town and wanted to see Temple Square.)
What a difference compared to today! I felt like I had the entire place to myself!
(Which is why I was able to take a bunch of selfies without feeling so self-conscious!)




 I spent a few minutes in the North Visitors Center,
sitting on couches and chairs as I gazed upon the large paintings
depicting defining moments in the life of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
I felt the spirit and knew that I was where I was supposed to be,
doing what I was supposed to be doing....if only for this moment in time.


As I was getting ready to leave, I noticed a Christmas tree,
so I went to get a closer look at it and the sailboat caught my eye.
































Not only is it a beautifully decorated tree, but it also has a beautiful story behind it.

















As I left the Visitors Center, I noticed there was a large nativity display.



As I passed the nativity I saw a sign that the Christmas Lighting at Temple Square
was happening on the day after Thanksgiving!
So excited to be able to see the lights in person!














I looked around in the South Visitors Center, as well.
































Another gorgeous Christmas tree!

If you look closely, you can see what the theme of this tree is...
































[Hint...it's the temple!]



I was only at Temple Square for about a half an hour or so,
but it was just what I needed today.




No comments:

Post a Comment