Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pet Peeves

So, I've thought about doing a pet peeve post for quite some time now,
but have always put it off for one reason or another.
[My last reason was that I wanted to try to write more positive posts...
but then I realized my posts would be few and far between if I stuck with that!]

So, when I read Elyse's humorous blog post about her pet peeves,
I decided to bite the bullet and blog about the 5 things that annoy me most,
the things that really want to make me tear my hair out!!!



My Biggest Pet Peeve:

OK, I'm sorry, I know that a few of you are guilty of this...
and I still love you all the same...but it really bugs me to no end
when people don't know the difference between possessive and plural!
For example:

"The Smith's" instead of "The Smiths"
or
"I have ten dollar's" instead of "I have ten dollars
"



It just makes me cringe!

So, here's a quick English lesson:
A common error is to form the plural of a noun
by adding " 's " to the singular form.
Try to get out the habit of doing this.
A trick for remembering that the apostrophe
signifies the plural is that possessive means "having,"
and so the possessive form of the word "has" an apostrophe.
How do you tell the difference in between plural and possessive?
Check the meaning of the sentence.
Does the noun simply refer to more than one thing?
Or does the sentence mention something that belongs to the noun?

Got that? ;)


Pet Peeve Number Two:

When people leave their cell phone on....
during church!



C'mon now!
There is no need whatsoever to have the volume up on your phone during church!
If you're on call for work, or have a sick child at home for something like that,
at least just have it on vibrate!
Two cell phones went off the other week during the closing prayer at church.
SERIOUSLY?!?
Show some respect, people!


Pet Peeve Number Three:

Another grammar related annoyance...
I absolutely cannot stand when people use "U" instead of "you."



Are you really that lazy that you can't write, type, text 2 extra letters?
Even in the age of twitter, having only 140 characters or less to express
what you want to say, there's no excuse.

And if you're a musician and decide to use "U" in the title of one of your songs,
I'm going to hate dislike it, purely based on that fact!
[Same thing applies to "R" instead of "are"]


Pet Peeve Number Four:

When people don't replace the toilet paper roll when it's gone!



Is it really that hard to throw the empty roll away
and replace it with a new roll?
[And leaving a roll with only 2-3 squares left on it is just as bad!]


Pet Peeve Number Five:

Now, I love me some flaky biscuits,



but flaky people....UGH!

If you say you're going to do something...DO IT!!!
If you change your mind or something comes up,
have the decency to say so.

For example:
If you respond to a listing on craiglist
wanting to purchase an item for sale,
or whatever the case may be,
all it takes is ten seconds out of your life
to email two words "never mind."

[It's even worse when it's someone close to you,
like a friend or family member that's a flake.]

It's just common courtesy.
Which sadly it seems a lot of people are lacking these days.


OK, who's next to blog about their pet peeves?
[Or feel feel to comment with yours.]

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha. Nice list! Yay for negative posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say that I think U R awesome! Its ok to have negitive post's sometime's. I think it's a good thing to let people know UR pet peeves so that they can be sure to not do them around U. That first photo makes me want to go and get my nail's done...you know what Im saying? LOL!

    ReplyDelete