Thursday, July 28, 2011

Life Lessons FromThe Boy Who Lived

OOPS! I saved this post instead of publishing it....better late than never!

It has been Pottermania the past week or so for me.

I wasn't able to go to the midnight showing of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2',
so I did the next best thing....saw the first showing on Friday morning! :)



I decided to splurge and saw it in IMAX 3-D.

The last time I saw an IMAX movie was



on January 1, 2002.

So I was long overdue to see one again!

I got to the theater an hour early to make sure I was able to get a good seat.
But, the theater wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be and even if
I had arrived 15 minutes before showtime, I would've been okay.
[But better safe than sorry!]

Anyway, loved the movie!
I know some people didn't think the 3-D was that great,
but I thought it was cool...gave it an extra pop!

I of course, got teary...but I don't think as much as I did during part 1.

That night, I started reading 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'
for the first time!!!

Yep, even though I had been in possession of the book for a couple years or so,
I was waiting to see how it ends on the silver screen, before seeing how it ends in print.



Which made the movie a bit more suspenseful for me than probably most, if not all
of the others watching in the theater. I mean, I knew that there were characters that
were going to die, but I didn't know exactly who, although I had a few suspicions,
and I didn't know how they would die either.

I had a feeling that at least one Weasley wouldn't make it to the end and figured it
would be one of the twins. But then I had to wait to find out if it was Fred or George,
since they didn't say right away! [And I didn't pay close enough attention to whether
or not he had both of his ears!]

And while I wasn't surprised that Snape was killed, I was quite surprised by how.
WOW!

The audience hooted and hollered when Mrs. Weasley defeated Bellatrix and
when Neville destroyed Nagini...but nothing for Ron and Hermione's kiss! Shocking!

I thought I would finish the book quicker, but it ended up taking me about a week.

As I was getting closer to the end, I came across this passage:

"He felt that he was still groping in the dark;
he had chosen his path but kept looking back,
wondering whether he had misread the signs,
whether he should not have taken the other way."
-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 25, page 503.

I almost started crying after reading that.
Just change the 'he' to 'she' and 'his' to 'her'
and it pretty much sums up the way I've been feeling
for the past two months.

Then I started thinking about Harry, this fictional character,
whom thanks to these books and movies, feels like a real person,
and all the challenges and obstacles he's had to face in his young life,
that he somehow managed to make it through.

I don't have someone who wants to kill me.
[At least I don't hope I do!]
And while I have struggles and challenges,
none of them are life-threatening,
as say being attacked by dementors or fighting a dragon.

I thought, if Harry can get through all that,
without going "Boo-hoo, why me?"
and learn and grow from his experiences...why can't I?

Well, for one thing, Harry was never alone.
He had Ron and Hermione, two friends who would stand by his side until the end.
Help always seemed to be there for Harry, one way or another when he needed it.

Now I know I'm never alone either and that help is there for me when I need it,
but sometimes you need a Ron or Hermione.



I realized that one of the biggest struggles I'm facing right now,
as I try to get through this challenging time in my life,
is that I don't have a Ron or Hermione at my side.

Even though I didn't go out and do things with my friends all the time,
[definitely not as much as I would've liked to], I knew they were there for me.
I never realized what a comfort and blessing that was.
Even if it had been weeks since we had seen each other or just made a brief exchange
walking past each other, if I needed someone or if they needed someone, we'd be there.
And sadly, 1700+ miles is a bit of an obstacle these days.

OK, this post was supposed to be about Harry Potter
and now I've turned it into a sobfest about how I feel all alone and miss my friends...

But if you're reading this,
that means you're more than likely a 'Ron and Hermione' of mine,
and I just wanted to say thank you for your friendship,
however long or brief,
it means a lot to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment