a "real" bed since I've been in Texas!
For the past nine months I've had to sleep
on one of these..

Only to wake up in the middle of the night to find myself slowly sinking
because there was a leak....not once, not twice, but thrice!
We bought a love seat at a thrift store and discovered it
wasn't just a love seat, but a hide-a-bed.
For a couple weeks I slept on the mattress that came
with the love seat, straight on the floor.
But getting up and down from a bed,
just a couple inches off the floor, was a real pain.
So, I put it back on the hide-a-bed frame
and slept on it that way for about a month and a half.
Basically leaving the bedroom as a storage room/changing room.
All this time I would check craigslist for free or cheap mattresses,
with no luck.
I found on the websites for Walmart and Target a bed-in-a-box,
which I considered getting. I had a few gift cards saved up,
that I could use towards the cost, but wasn't very comfortable
about buying something like that sight unseen.
I was getting tired of waiting,
but figured with Presidents' Day coming up,
there had to be at least one store offering a good deal on mattresses.
There was...hooray!
Big Lots was having a sale on mattresses where you could get
the matching box spring for only $10.00.
Then I also discovered that I had earned my Big Lots reward
for 20% off my next purchase. Sweet!
The next step was finding a way to get the mattresses home,
without having to pay a $40-50 delivery fee.
Elders Quorum to the rescue!
So after work, I headed over to Big Lots.
I thought I'd be able to walk in, tell them what I wanted
and they could get it for me, as I shopped throughout the store.
WRONG!!!
There were two other groups in the furniture department
waiting for help, so I stayed put, because I didn't want to lose my place.
After finally getting some help, it looked like they might not have
the mattress set I wanted in stock.
Then I had to wait another 5-10 minutes for the lady to come back
to check the inventory on the computer.
I wanted either the full or queen mattress set, since there was only $10.00
difference between the two.
They were out of the queen, but it said they had one full set left.
I crossed my fingers and hoped their inventory was correct...
and HALLELUJAH it was!!!
I got my new bed for $160.00.
I saved over $150.00, so practically half-off!
Woo-hoo!
Right as I found out they had my new bed,
my delivery help arrived!
At first I thought 3 guys seemed a bit excessive for helping
to deliver a mattress and box spring, but it turns out we needed each one!
The box spring was just a smidge too big to fit in the back of the van,
so it had to go on top of the van. It probably took 15 minutes to
get it secured on there. Lots of knots and tying and untying was involved.
It arrived safe and sound and now all that was left was to have them
carried up to the third floor.
By the time, they were in the bedroom it was about 9:00pm.
And after being gone for almost 14 hours,
my new bed was looking really, really good!
Can't wait until Saturday so I can really enjoy
a long, relaxing, good night of sleep!
Yay! Gotta love the bargains after a long wait! And way to go Elder's Quorum! How nice for them to be so generous when 3 flights of stairs are involved!
ReplyDeleteHope it's super comfy and will last many years!