Wednesday, February 29, 2012

There is no friend as loyal as a book

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends;
they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors,
and the most patient of teachers. ~Charles W. Eliot


You know the scene in Disney's Beauty and the Beast,
when the Beast surprises Belle with the AMAZING library?
Man, I would LOVE to have someone surprise me with that!
In case you couldn't guess, I love books!

“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading!
How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! --
When I have a house of my own,
I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”
~ Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice



I especially LOVE old children's books!
They just have a sweetness and charm to them
that's missing in the majority of books around today.

TV. If kids are entertained by two letters,
imagine the fun they'll have with twenty-six.
Open your child's imagination. Open a book. ~Author Unknown


Lately I've found some pretty cool books
at thrift stores and Half Price Books.

Here are a few of the latest additions to my library.



This was a very favorite book of mine when I was little.
I was at a Goodwill and they had a bunch of containers
filled with books. I felt like a kid in a candy store.
As soon as I saw this book, I snatched it right up.
I was going to buy it no matter what,
so I was absolutely THRILLED to discover
it was in wonderful condition!



I remember as a child, how much I loved the illustrations.



And the story is just absolutely precious!



I was surprised at how familiar the story was
after all this time.



The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,
and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory
from which the image is never cast out to be thrown on
the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived. ~Howard Pyle




I picked this book up the other day at Half Price Books.
I just couldn't resist!



The illustrations look just like the characters from the movie!



This Snow White book is from the sixties.
I love the cute illustrations around the text.



Fairy tales are more than true;
not because they tell us that dragons exist,
but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.
~ G.K. Chesterton

I especially love to find animal stories
from the sixties and seventies.
The artwork is so charming!



Books can be dangerous.
The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life." ~Helen Exley




A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann




A blessed companion is a book,
a book that, fitly chosen, is a lifelong friend...
a book that, at a touch, pours its heart into our own. ~Douglas Jerrold




This story is actually from the forties,
but this edition is from the sixties.
I got it because it's different.



To read a book for the first time is to make
an acquaintance with a new friend;
to read it for a second time is to meet an old one.
~Chinese Saying




One thrift store I went to had several books
in a foreign language, which I figured out was Swedish.
And even though I don't know Swedish,
that didn't stop me from buying a few of the books.



This book has poems, songs and short stories.
And a variety of different styles of artwork.



Books are not made for furniture,
but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~Henry Ward Beecher




I also found a few of these Walt Disney books.



I also have Stories of America and Stories of Nature.
They have Disney stories as well as other well-known stories.



Can't wait to see what literary treasures I find next!

Let books be your dining table,
And you shall be full of delights
Let them be your mattress
And you shall sleep restful nights.
~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment