Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Welcome to the world!

So last night, just before 9:30, I see the following message
from my brother-in-law, Robbie on Facebook:
At Labor and Delivery pretty sure tonight is the night. 
Updates will be coming when we know more.

UMMM... SAY WHAT NOW?!?!?! 
Why am I finding out this way???

So then my sister Trisha and I decide to call our mom
to see if she knows what's going on, since the message
was sent just twenty minutes earlier.
Well, this was even news to her! 
CRAZY!!!

Around 10:30, we found out that they were sent home.
Go home and shower, take a nap and come back in a couple hours,
they were told. Again, my response was
UMMM...SAY WHAT NOW?!?!?! 

I thought back to when Katrina was born
and how we were all at the hospital waiting for her arrival,
and having to go home because it was getting late,
only to find out she was born less than two hours later!

I remember the disappointment I felt and the anticipation
I had about whether I was going to have yet another brother.
[With three brothers and only one sister, I was obviously hoping
for another sister and was ecstatic that it was in fact a baby girl!] 



























I didn't want to have that experience again, of being so close...
but yet so far.

I didn't sleep very well that night.
I kept waking up to see what time it was and to check my phone.  
I woke up at around 4:00am and checked Facebook and saw this
message from Robbie:
 A few more hours and we should be hold[ing] our baby boy.  

I felt relief that I hadn't missed it and that I apparently had some time.
The first DART train to the hospital was at 4:38 and I said I'd be on it if 
I needed to be. Thankfully, I didn't need to, because I really don't know
if I actually would have safely been able to do so.

I checked the time and Facebook a few more times after that
and finally decided to get my butt out of bed sometime around 7:15am.

My plan was to leave before 8:30am... which I thought was plenty of time!
But then I remembered that Trisha would soon be waking up to get ready for work. 
So I ended up leaving at 8:35am....oooh, so close!
And then of course, missed my train by less than a minute!
So I texted Robbie to let him know I was on my way.

8:51am : Ok her water just broke. So you might just have to wait in the waiting room.

UMMM... SAY WHAT NOW?!?!?! 

I didn't know how much time I had, which made it all the more frustrating
once I got to the hospital, but couldn't figure out where Labor & Delivery was! 
I finally asked the lady at the gift shop and discovered the reason I couldn't find it
was because it was on the ground floor and I was on the first floor.

I took the elevator down one level and approach the lady behind what I assumed
was the front desk. I told her my sister was here and that I just found out her water broke.
She told me to go through a set of doors and to talk to the nurse at the desk there.
I told her the same thing and she informed me that they were in room three.

I'm thinking, OK, I'm just going to go in there, let them know I'm here and see
what's going on, before going to wait in the oh so appropriately named waiting room.   

The door was closed, so I slowly opened it, since I didn't know what or where
things were going on in there.

There was no turning back after that.

Katrina was in full-on labor by this point!

I quickly made my way over to the couch in the back corner of the room.

I wasn't expecting or planning to be in the actual delivery room. 
I just wanted to be in the hospital when the baby was born,
so I could be among the first to welcome him to the world.

[If I had known that, I wouldn't have spent so much time putting make up on
when I was getting ready! I was just thinking I wanted to look nice for pictures.]

9:18am, I tweeted the following:

in the delivery room...baby coming very soon. very emotional.

Hearing the pain my sister was experiencing during the delivery just broke me.
Let the waterworks commence! 
Hearing the love and words of encouragement Robbie gave to Katrina just melted me.
So long, eyeliner! Bye-bye, mascara!
Hearing the doctor say to give one last push and seeing the baby quickly shoot out.
There are no words!

9:19am:
I just sat there, in the corner. Tears streaming down my cheeks.
My baby sister has a baby. My baby sister is a mommy.      

9:23am:
I texted my sister Trisha to let her know the wonderful news.

I watched as they took the baby to wipe him off and check him out.

I watched as new daddy Robbie, tried to sooth and quiet his new baby boy.
[Who obviously has very strong, healthy lungs!]
His cries sounded like he was repeatedly saying, "Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Oh yeah!" 

As I watched all this, I saw Katrina was also watching...from a distance.
She told me to go over and see the baby.
I realized the reason I hadn't done so sooner was that I felt guilty about
seeing the baby when Katrina had barely even had a quick glimpse of him.
So with her approval, I walked over to meet my new little nephew.

I looked at him with awe and amazement.
As he squirmed and stretched, getting used to his new surroundings
and trying to open his eyes, only to realize how bright all the lights were.
He was just absolutely perfect. It was definitely love at first sight!
Ten tiny little fingers, ten tiny little toes, tiny little ears and a cute button nose.  

Once they finished checking him out, they finally brought him to his mommy.
He immediately responded to his mommy's voice and touch. 












The Happy Family 














 Sweet Baby Boy
 

 
 

 

 


 









Benjamin Bruce Kelleher
February 6, 2013, 9:19am
7 lbs 2oz, 19 1/2 inches




















 His due date wasn't for another ten days, on February 16th
so his early arrival was a bit of a surprise....a very happy one!
This little guy also shares a birthday with two other family members,
his Great Aunt Carol and cousin Jayna.
 
 














Welcome to the world, Benjamin!
I'm overjoyed that I was able to experience your arrival
into the world and into our family.
I'm so glad to be able to be part of your life and can't wait
to get to know you and watch you grow and develop!
[Just don't grow up too quickly though!] 

Auntie Tammy loves you very much! 
[And be prepared to be absolutely spoiled rotten!] 

No comments:

Post a Comment