Man, was that a hard day to get through!
Reality finally started sinking in that
this wasn't all just some bad dream,
and that my dear Aunt Cindy
was really no longer [physically] with us.
In the brief period of time I had to pack for the trip,
I made sure to take into consideration what I wanted
to wear to the funeral and burial.
One of Aunt Cindy's favorite colors was red.
So I chose to wear something red in her honor.
[And I wasn't alone in that sentiment, as you'll see in the photos below.]
The funeral was held at a chapel in West Jordan,
where the ward of her eldest daughter Jennifer meets.
And where just 3 1/2 years earlier,
we all came together to celebrate a more joyous occasion,
the 40th anniversary of Uncle David and Aunt Cindy.
There was a viewing in the Relief Society room before the funeral.
I made the decision not to participate in the viewing.
I had a few people ask me about that.
My response was that our goodbyes to each other when I left
from my visit to Kansas City last April, were our last earthly goodbyes.
I wanted to remember her as she was the last time I saw her,
smiling...warm...full of love....alive.
Besides that wasn't really her anymore.
We had a family prayer after the viewing.
I stayed in the back of the room and for once
being short among a bunch of taller people paid off
and I knew I wouldn't be able to catch an unintentional glimpse.
We then made our way to the chapel for the funeral.
It ended up that they didn't reserve enough pews for family members,
so a number of people had to move back to make room for everyone.
My sister Trisha and I sat next to our cousin Matt and his family.
It didn't take long for the tears to start flowing!
[Thanks to my cousin Holly's husband, Marion for opening the floodgates
when he got emotional while giving the invocation!]
It was pretty much non-stop crying after that,
so I appreciated the bits of comic relief
that Jennifer, Kenny and Jared added to their tributes
about their sweet mother.
So many wonderful memories were mentioned,
some more than once, which just made you realize
that must be something extra special about her.
All the musical performances were absolutely beautiful
and a loving tribute to the life of this elect lady.
I could go on and on...as the funeral did.
It went on for close to two hours.
I know some probably found that to be too long,
but if you ask me, it could have gone on even longer
if everyone had the opportunity to share some way
our lives have been richly blessed by her.
Unfortunately, because it went on for so long,
my friend Barbie had to leave during it to get back to work.
so I missed out on the opportunity to talk with her.
[I just caught a glimpse of her as we entered the chapel.]
I did get to talk with her husband though, which was nice.
Before we left to head to the cemetery for the burial,
I went into the bathroom to see how horrible I looked
after all that crying.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that my make-up
survived all those tears and I didn't look like a drowned raccoon!
At the burial, more words were spoken, more songs were sung,
more tears were shed.
We all got together to say goodbye one last time.
Tyson [who is blind], feeling his Grandma's casket
[Heidi, Wendi and Matt were also in attendance, but had already left.]
Joe, Jordan and Janessa
The Graham Family: Jared, Laura, Landon & Tyson
Then it was back to the chapel in West Jordan for a family luncheon.
It was nice getting to catch up with family members we don't often see.
I just hope that next time we get together, it's for a happy, joyous occasion.
No comments:
Post a Comment