I am grateful for my current job.
I struggled with my first job here in Dallas.
[And it didn't help that I was still feeling very homesick and out of place.]
It was difficult to get used to the way things were done,
compared to the job I worked at the previous 6+ years.
Rarely knowing what hours I was scheduled to work
until clocking out the day before.
Being moved around from one classroom to another,
sometimes working in every classroom in one day,
which made it near impossible to plan any real activity,
since I never knew where I was going to be and
when I was going to be there!
Promises being made, but not kept.
So I decided to look for something else.
I spent two months searching for a job
and thought I found one that would work out better for me.
I should've seen the signs, when the director, during my interview,
proceeded to tell me a bunch of negative things, including things about
the classroom I'd be working in and the teacher she was moving
out of that room, because she didn't like the way she did things in there.
And then once I was hired, this same teacher she dogged on,
was the one she had train me in the classroom!
How does that make sense?!?
So things started off a bit awkward and uncomfortable.
But I tried to make the best of things and to put the children first
and eventually things started to come together.
But apparently, it was too little too late.
So I was on the job hunt again.
This time I decided to keep an open mind
and applied to a variety of positions.
However, the few I'd hear from were either
too few hours or too far away.
I applied for countless nanny/babysitting jobs on a couple websites,
but maybe only heard back from about 20% of them.
I had several interviews, all which seemed to go very well,
but always ended with something like, "We have another applicant to meet,
we'll make our decision and call you on Friday."
Only to never hear back from them.
Seriously?!?
I understand that no one likes to be the bearer of bad news,
but if it's too difficult to call or tell them to their face,
have the common courtesy to at least inform them by email or text! Jeesh!
So you can imagine that all this rejection was not much of a morale booster.
It was a depressing time, one that made me question myself and my abilities.
I thought all my troubles had come to an end, when I was contacted
by a woman about a nanny position for her two little boys.
The hours were flexible and the pay was fantastic!
Then I went to meet her at her home...a mini mansion!
This house was three stories high, with numerous staircases and get this...
an elevator!!!
[I live on the third floor and I don't even have an elevator!]
The way she showed me around and spoke to me about things
gave me the impression that the job was already mine.
Oh, and did I mention that each summer they travel?
This past summer was spent taking a European Cruise!
It was like a dream come true!
Sadly though, this dream came to an abrupt end.
I sent my references to her the following day,
since she wanted to contact them, before I started.
But apparently, that was a day too late!
She contacted another applicant about the position
and ended up choosing her for the job.
I was CRUSHED!!!
A month or so later, I had two interviews, both were families with twins.
The first one went well, until it came up that I don't have a car
and she wanted the children to be able to regularly get out of the house.
"Darn! And I was really starting to like you!"
As I was on my way to the second interview, the DART train I needed
left 3 minutes early! If I already had a pass, I would've made it, but
unfortunately there was someone at the machine, who clearly did not know
what they were doing... and I ended up missing the train.
I thought perhaps the next train might possibly get me there in time
to catch the bus I needed, but I missed it by a minute and unfortunately
the next one wasn't for another hour! So I contacted them to apologize
and explain my dilemma, thinking that this was more than likely
the end of the road for this position, too. But she was very understanding
and scheduled a new day and time for an interview.
I made sure to leave extra early this time around and made it there a few
minutes early. One of the first things I noticed was the neighborhood.
The houses were probably around 40+ years old, with large mature trees
in every yard. It felt more like the neighborhoods I was used to back home.
[Rather than the huge, more modern homes of the other families I visited.]
And when I was introduced to the girls, one of them came right up to me,
and wanted me to hold her...which apparently she doesn't normally do.
Again things went really well during the interview and again ended with
"We have one more interview, then we'll make our decision and call you."
Although they did keep me waiting a couple days longer than they said,
thankfully this one had a happy ending, when I got a text that said,
"We'd love for you to care for our girls."
And while they don't live in a mansion, or go on summer holidays to Europe,
I know this is the right job for me right now.
I work Monday-Thursday and have different hours each day.
My earliest day starts at 7:30am and my latest day ends at 5:00pm.
[Although a few times I've stayed until closer to 6:00pm.]
I really like having a different schedule each day and getting home before dark.
The girls, Sara and Lila, are really sweet, happy girls.
[They will be turning one at the end of the year.]
They take two naps a day, which I am enjoying while I can, because I know
it won't be that way forever. I usually spend that time to eat, read a book,
or to take a little nap myself.
Depending on the weather, we usually go for a stroll around the neighborhood.
Which is something I really need, because I rarely walk around anymore.
I've been caring for them for almost a month now and things are going well.
The girls always greet me with a smile. I'm enjoying getting to know them
and establishing a bond with them. [Although I seem to have a stronger bond
with Lila. Sara seems to be a bit more independent.]
I look forward to getting to know them better and to watch them grow and learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment